Cactus Fries with Prickly Pear Sauce
Author: The Cowboy Club
Recipe type: Appetizer
Ever wonder what to do with the cactus you see at the supermarket? How about some fries? We found these at The Cowboy Club in Sedona Arizona and they were kind enough to share their recipe. Now that’s cowboy hospitality!
- 1 Pad of Prickly Pear Cactus (Napolitas Cactus)
- 1 tbl flour
- 2 tbl baking powder
- ¼ lb cornstarch
- 1 tbl salt
- 2 tbl paprika
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 3 tbl garlic granules
- 1 tbl sugar
- Prickly Pear Sauce:
- ¼ cup Prickly Pear syrup
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup Red Hot
- 1 tbl lime juice
- 1 tbl soy sauce
- ½ tbl white sugar
- 1 tbl cilantro
- 1 tbl green onion
- ½ tbl corn starch
- 1 tbl water
- To prepare the Prickly Pear Sauce, bring vinegar, Red Hot and soy sauce to a boil, then add slurry of corn starch and water.
- Add remaining Prickly Pear Sauce ingredients.
- Cut cleaned cactus into fry shaped slices (can be purchased in the supermarket)
- Drain cactus in colander.
- Coat with buttermilk, let soak overnight.
- Drain off most of the buttermilk.
- Coat cactus in seasoned flour.
- Cook in a fry basket for 3 minutes at 325 degrees or until crispy.
Big thank you to The Cowboy Club in uptown Sedona, AZ.