On this episode, we cook up the world’s largest rodent, snack on some giant ants, and have a blast at a local mountain cabin party.
Tarahumara Dish - Apregate
Recipe type: Main
This was the Tarahumara dish we made in Batopilas in Episode 5 of Hungry Riders. It is a 1 pot meal that someone could make almost anywhere though I am not sure it will taste the same without a wood fire. There are many ways someone could add to this to more suit their tastes. This is a very hearty meal that will feed a large group.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 white onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 tomatoes
- half pound of beef (I think we used sirloin but that is all the local market had)
- Cooking oil (we used Canola)
- Salt to taste
- Tortillas for serving
- Chop everything into small bite sized cubes: potato, onion, tomato, and beef.
- Cook the potatoes in a generous amount of oil, not to fry them, but just to cook through. the potatoes are not really fried, but just cooked through.
- Then add the beef, onions, garlic, and tomatoes, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Once cooked through, almost like a very thick stew, serve in tortillas and eat with your hands.
With my American palate, I would add some pepper. I am sure people will add a number of ingredients to this recipe, so let us know how it turns out! Also keep in mind, this is an example of what the Tarahumara are eating now, because for quite a while their diet consisted primarily of corn.