Puebla Chicken Mole
Author: Mendez Family
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: Puebla, Mexican
When we visited Puebla Mexico in Hungry Riders Episode 7, we had the chance to learn how to make authentic home made mole from scratch. This is the recipe featured in that episode which can be used for additional instructions and tips. While it does take quite a bit of time and some work, the results are worth it. The end result is a deeply complex sauce that is out of this world, invented by nuns.
- 4 large chile ancho
- 4 large chile mulato
- 2 small chile chipotle
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1 cup of peanuts
- 1 cup of sesame seeds
- 1 large stick cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1 dried tortilla
- 1 piece of stale bread
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 large white onion
- 1 large platano macho (plantain)
- 1 chocolate bar (unsweetened Mexican)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Canola oil as needed
- Manteca (lard)
- ½ cup of raisins
- ½ cup of sugar to taste
- 1 Chicken
- dry unsalted crackers
- small sprig of mint
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- Boil cut up chicken ahead of time with onion, cilantro, cinnamon and mint.
- Deseed chiles and remove stems.
- Slice onions, tomatoes, and plantains (large slices).
- Soak almonds in hot water.
- Soak raisins in room temperature water.
- Fry tomatoes in only oil until soft. Remove tomatoes, then fry onions in same oil until they're clear but not brown.
- In a separate pan, use lard and oil to fry in the following order, one ingredient at a time, emptying into large pot (no heat) as you go: platanos, tortilla, bread, almonds, peanuts & spices, chiles, then the sesame seeds soaking up remaining oil.
- Add chicken broth to the pot of fried ingredients then let sit for 5 minute
- Process in blender, filter through strainer, add water as necessary.
- Put in large pot on medium heat and stir frequently until it comes to a boil.
- Add whole chocolate bar, stirring until it is entirely melted, add sugar and salt to taste continuing to stir.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stir occasionally, but it does not require constant stirring at this point.
- Add cooked chicken and simmer for another 15 minutes. Then eat!
- Sprinkle sesame seeds at the table to taste.
- Serve with white rice and maize tortilla.