Recipe type: Entree
Signature Dish from Guanajuato Mexico. Featured in episode 6 of Hungry Riders. This dish loads up on carbs for hungry miners (Hence the Mineras). An interesting twist on a classic Mexican enchilada.
- 4-5 medium potatoes (pealed)
- 4-5 carrots
- 8 dried chiles guajillos, remove stems and seeds
- 2 dried chiles anchos, remove stems and seeds
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 8-10 Corn tortillas
- 1 package of Cotija cheese
- 1 tsp oregano
- Cayeanne to taste
- Salt to taste
- "Enough" Canola type oil
- Boil water in order to cook chunks of potato and carrots until done but firm.
- Roast cleaned chiles in a skillet until bubbled but not burned, then soak for 20 minutes in hot water until soft.
- Using a blender puree ¼ of the onion, garlic, oregano, dash of cayeanne and salt, then add and blend soaked chiles for the sauce. Strain using small sieve and separate out the liquid.
- Heat oil in skillet to soften tortillas. Dip tortilla briefly in oil turning immediately. Then dip tortilla in enchilada sauce and roll tightly with Cotija cheese. Cooked shredded chicken would also work.
- Fry potato and carrots in oil remaining oil, with a little of the enchilada sauce for flavor.
- Pour additional sauce over enchiladas, then add potatoes, carrots, some diced onion, and additional cheese to taste.